Publish work items back to TFS from word

Aug 12, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Was trying Word plugin for TFS. Can we have a facility to publish items from word back to the TFS? We need this because we capture requirements in word documents and send it approval of client. Once approved then we need to create work items out of it. So is there any way to achieve this with current version?
Developer
Aug 12, 2013 at 2:14 PM
This is something which is not currently supported. It is something we would like to add, but I cannot tell you when it might happen.

The only way to do it now would be to work the other way around, create the work items in TFS and then generate the document from TFS. That way you would have TFS all ready to go once the requirements are approved.

Regards

Rob
Aug 13, 2013 at 5:41 AM
Thanks Rob for quick response. Do you have any suggestions about how do we manage requirements with TFS 2012 if we are capturing requirements in word document. We want to have full traceability. I am using MSF Agile template of TFS.
Developer
Aug 13, 2013 at 7:02 AM
You would need to find a suitable mapping of work item types. For example you might use the User Story as a requirement. If you want a hierarchy of requirements then you could create a tree of User Story work items by linking child User Story work items. You can put a lot of text into the Details part of a user story and it is Rich Text so you can format and put small pictures in if needed.

You might use child Test Case work items to list acceptance criteria for a requirement.

You might be able to come up with a completely different way to map the requirements onto work items, whatever works for you really.

If you go down this route I would suggest you create a small set of sample requirements and try creating a document from them to make sure that you can express what you want to express.

Regards

Rob