This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Requirement display order

Oct 24, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Hi

I have a suggestion for a new feature. I am a business analyst and I need to create requirement documents that will be presented to the client for review and signoff. The requirements need to be presented in a logical order. However, requirements are not always written in the perfect logical order (sort by TFS ID) and coming up with a naming convention that will work (sort by title) and that doesn't include the dewey decimal system (001.011.100) is not feasible. It would be very helpful if we could use a query to insert the requirements, be allowed to reorder them for display purposes, and if refreshed it would treat the requirements as individuals, i.e. not use the query to redownload them and return them to the original order.

Thanks,
Karen
Developer
Oct 24, 2013 at 3:14 PM
As you are probably aware, the Addin displays the work items in the order in which the query you use returns them. So, if you can arrange the work items and the query to produce the "perfect" order then the Addin will do the work.

You could do this by making use of a field to define the sort order. For example if you have Stack Rank in your process template you could use that. Alternatively, you could add your own field and sort on that instead.

Note also that if you use a flat query and reorder the work items, then the addin should not reorder them on refresh. But this only works if you use a flat query.

Regards

Rob
Oct 25, 2013 at 2:15 PM
The developers are using the stack rank field and we're being encouraged to not have any custom fields unless absolutely necessary - but that is a great idea. Also, the note about the flat query was very helpful.

Thanks for your suggestions Rob!